This article outlines the basic troubleshooting steps when you are experiencing a cooling issue with your unit.
The cooling season is just as important as the heating season in maintaining your unit. We suggest turning on your cooling when the temperature is at least 10 degrees or above. When testing the cooling, check the following;
Change the mode on your display or thermostat to cool and click the auto. We will need to set the temperature below your room temperature to call for cool. Once set, determine if the indoor and outdoor fan clicks on. This means the unit has received the communication from the fan relay to turn on. Next, we would need to determine if the compressor has turned on. Usually, there is a humming noise which means the compressor is operating, and if so the compressor is running. Sometimes the air pushing out may not feel cool right away, we recommend placing your hand on the coil to confirm if it feels cool to the touch.
Steps to take to determine the issue:
1. Check to make sure all the settings of your PTAC unit, including the fan and temperature settings, are set correctly.
2. Make sure the air filter is clean and free of debris.
3. Check the air vents to ensure they are not blocked and that air is flowing freely.
4. Make sure the outside unit is free of debris and that debris is not blocking the condenser coils.
5. Check the compressor and other electrical components for any signs of damage or corrosion.
6. Inspect all the ductwork for any signs of damage, blockages, or leaks.
Determining refrigerant leaks?
We recommend having a Level 313A contractor visit your site to investigate the location where the freon is leaking. Once identified, they will take the next steps to braise the copper where it's needed and refill the compressor with refrigerant.
How to test the Compressor Capacitor?
*Be sure to ground the capacitor before moving forward with testing it.
In addition, this same concept can be done to test the overload protection as that could sometimes cause an issue with the compressor not being able to start.